Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Travel Companion

I boarded the plane from New York to California hoping for no turbulence and praying for a friendly fellow passenger as good and lighthearted conversation is always welcomed. I found my seat, made myself comfortable and took out a book. Before I could turn the page, a gentleman sat down besides me. I didn't look directly at him, just caught a glimpse of his worn hands and somewhat long fingernails. From the corner of my eye I could see him take out a notepad and begin to write. By nature I'm curious. I was most interested but didn't want to be intrusive by asking him what he was writing.

The captain welcomed us and wished us a safe journey. The cabin crew went through the emergency procedures, of which I didn't pay any attention. My focus was on his writing. I wondered if he was a writer or a poet, perhaps a director mapping out his next Academy Award winning script. No sooner had we taken off, he got out his seat, placed his notepad on the serving tray and made his way to the restroom. I tried to take a peak at his notebook but couldn't make out his handwriting. His handwriting was similar to those of doctors - totally illegible. "Oh bummer", is what I uttered.

As he returned to his seat, we made eye contact and he nodded. He looked strangely familiar as if our paths had crossed before. I spent the next ten minutes trying to remember where we had met. I knew I had to at least introduce myself -- hoping he would provide the missing piece of the puzzle. I mustered up the courage and introduced myself, "hi, I'm Belinda". All I got from him was a mumble "yeah" and he resumed with his writing. Another bummer. Why had he not revealed his name? Did he have something to hide? Did I perhaps see his face on America's Most Wanted? All this was so intriguing and puzzling!

A few minutes later, one of the cabin crew members stopped at his seat and greeted him as if they had been old friends. She called him "Carlos". Didn't Carlos have a last name? If only internet access was available on flight, i would've used google! Google is amazing if you want to find out neat little facts about people. I always google my first and last name, unfortunately I'm not famous or rich to make a hit.

I try to eavesdrop on the conversation and the cabin crew member mentions music. Ah, another clue -- finally! No matter how hard I try, I just can't remember who he is. Eventually I quit eavesdropping and begin to focus on my book.

Twenty minutes later, he leaves his seat and heads to the restroom again. I peer over my shoulder to see if I can see the cabin crew member so I can ask who he is but unfortunately she's no where to be seen.

He returns, sits and resumes writing. I continue reading when I feel a nudge on my left shoulder. It's him, the mysterious man. I look at him and he points forward. I look ahead and see a lady who i chatted with briefly at the terminal. Her name is Mary Beth and she's from Barbados. A very sweet lady I must add. She waves her book in her hand and smiles. I recognise the book, as it's the same one I'm reading "Faith of my fathers" by John McCain. I laugh and in return wave mine.

She sits down and I continue reading. Half hour later, mystery man nudges me again. I look at him and he points ahead. It's Mary Beth again, this time she's pointing to a can of soda - gesturing if I wanted it. I gestured no with the nod of my head and continued reading. A while later, I thanked him for nudging me. He replied by saying, "no problem young lady", in a deep spanish accent. Who would've guessed that mystery man "Carlos" was so sweet?!!

Cut a long story short, we land at LAX and the mystery man and I say goodbye.

I hurry towards the baggage claim and make eye contact with Mary Beth who seems rather excited to see me. She asks me how did it feel to brush shoulders with a celebrity. A celebrity??? I'm dumbfounded. I ask innocently, who the celebrity was. She takes a gasp and says "The man sitting next to you was Carlos Santana"


No comments:

Post a Comment