Monday, February 2, 2009

Valentines Day Conspiracy



We're in the month of February (wow, time really flies) and I've been thinking about Valentines Day.

It has been written (by women’s magazines) that they truly understand why some single women feel completely bad about Valentine’s Day. It’s as if everyone completely conspired to get out their dates, their significant others, their husbands to show off how how coupling is done.

Anyway, that’s what I felt when I was in high school where everyone was being sent their roses and got their serenades while I had none.

But then I grew up and realised that “everyone” conspiring to do that is an exaggeration. Plus, couples who do go out on what most couples now consider cliche don’t even think about you when they do go out on Valentine’s day. They’re eyes are all in sparkles and they’re in cloud nine that they don’t even have time to think.

Now, this is not me sounding bitter. For my Valentine’s message, I’m here to reminisce.

Valentine’s Day was a heartbreaking day for plain girls like me back in high school. I became jaded enough to be pessimistic about men while at times, secretly waiting for when my turn will come when I’ll finally get some flowers.

Then later on, the men did come (and still didn’t get me my flowers! geez… is that hard to ask?) but well… either those didn’t seem to be the right time or I’m still not the right person or they’re not the right person… all these complications. The thing is that my friends wonder about me. Some guys do flirt and wonder, giving me the age-old come-on question, “Why don’t you still have a boyfriend?”

There were years I think, that I pondered over that silly question. Was it the clothes? Was it my dominant personality? Was I intimidating? Was it my friends? Was it my being brought up in a christian household? Was it my faith? Was it my job?

Was it my excessive love for songs that I have to play at least 5x a day for 3 months?

It’s ironic that I’ve come to ask these questions when the men who asked them are the ones who I thought shouldn’t matter. And it has become extremely tiring and hurtful to reminisce why I am the way I am.

So my Valentine’s message for all of you single girls, stop asking what’s wrong with you.

If you still want to ask that anyway, then ask someone whose an expert at it and who will give you an objective answer:

“…so you were exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty.” — Ezekiel 16:13b (NASB)

“You were absolutely stunning.” — Ezekiel 16:13b (The Message)

That’s God’s answer. Nobody can be more objective than that. His opinion should matter the most than anyone, shouldn’t it? He’s the one who made you.

Valentine’s Day was a conspiracy. Now you know a lot of people who are that crazy to wear red and make sure it’s a day for coupling are just… people having fun.

But you’re beautiful. Nothing’s wrong with you. Singlehood is just a season. Enjoy it this Valentine’s Day with God, just you and Him, while you still can.

(When you get married, that makes you three! -_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment